Wayland Christian Reformed Church Wayland CRC Home About Wayland CRC Wayland CRC Ministries Wayland CRC Staff Wayland CRC News Contact wayland CRC

Wayland CRC History

In the summer of 1950, LaGrave CRC hired a seminary student for evangelism in the Wayland area.  He succeeded in starting Bible classes and acquired a list of names for perspective church members.  Moline CRC then assumed the responsibility for this project. In 1954, the project became inactive.  But, in 1955, 11 families from Moline CRC, living in the Wayland area, agreed to help start a new church in Wayland.  Worship services and Sunday School classes were held in the American Legion Hall.  Several families made trips to pick up families and individuals, so attendance grew. On February 15, 1957 the Steering committee decided to ask Grand Rapids South for permission to organize.  At the May, 1957 meeting of Classis Grand Rapids South, permission was granted. Ten acres was purchased at E. Elm St. and a church building was erected.  Building was completed. Since then the church has been added on to and parsonage built next door.  In 1997, the Education Building was built for offices, classrooms, full kitchen & banquet room. In 2006 we began our Intern Pastor program, where we hire a seminarian from Calvin Theological Seminary to work part-time at the same time he is in seminary so he is learning from experience.  There have been similar programs but we were the first Christian Reformed Church to use this program.  Because of its success it is now being used by other churches. Pastors: Don Wisse 1957-1961; E. Visser 1962-1968; George VanderWeit 1968-1971; Hubert Sprik 1972-1986; Lambert Sikkema 1987-1992; R. Joe Dieleman 1992-1995; James McCune 1996-1999; Ronald Bouwkamp 2000-2006; Gerald Zandstra 2006-present We are part of the Grand Rapids South Classis. Timeline Parsonage built in 1968. Church enlarged in 1970. In 1957 there were 22 families + 2 adult singles = 104 “souls” In 1976 we began the closed circuit telecast to Sandy Creek. In 1997 we built our Education Building. In 2006 we began our Intern Pastor program. In 2015 we began building a new sanctuary attached to the Education Building. In 2016 we moved into the new sanctuary & demolished our old sanctuary.